Certified Nurse-Midwives are specialists in women's health care. Midwives are probably best known for how they help women during labor and delivery but they use that same philosophy of care in all settings for the care they provide to women throughout the life cycle.
Certified Nurse-Midwives offer the special skill of Woman To Woman understanding of the unique physical, emotional and spiritual needs of women. Midwives welcome your questions and specialize in really listening and encouraging women to make informed decisions about their care.
Certified Nurse-Midwives consult with doctors if a complication comes up where the pregnancy becomes high risk such as diabetes, preterm labor, or high blood pressure or a Cesarean delivery is needed. Midwives refer patients for ultrasounds, lab tests and any other procedure that may be needed in order to keep the pregnancy healthy.
Studies have shown that -
Mothers who have chosen a midwife have :
Services Certified Nurse-Midwives provide:
- Less chance of having a Cesarean or forceps delivery
- Less chance of having an episiotomy at birth (a cut to enlarge the vagina)
- Fewer premature or low birth weight babies
- Generally, a healthier pregnancy and birth outcome
- More satisfaction with their care
- Personalized Prenatal & Postpartum care
- Birth attendance in a hospital or birth center
- Instruction on breastfeeding and lactation consultation at TMC and Birth Center.
- Family Planning (birth control ) Services
- Prescriptions for medications
- Gynecological care, including annual pelvic, breast and pap tests, physical exams, STI testing and treatment, and primary care during pregnancy
- Primary Care during pregnancy: Sore throat, UTI, Bronchitis, Respiratory infections, etc.
- Menopause counseling and treatment